Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
⚠️ IRS Scam Alert ⚠️ - There is an IRS telephone scam currently operating in our community, so please BE ALERT and avoid the Scammers!
Avoid telephone scams ☎️
Scammer impersonate IRS employees and call taxpayers in aggressive and sophisticated ways. Scammers claim to be IRS employees and sound very convincing.
They use fake names and phony IRS identification badge numbers. They’re demanding and threatening – and do not reflect how the IRS handles enforcement matters. They have the ability to "ghost" phone numbers to appear to be coming from a "local" phonenumber.
⚠️ The IRS DOES NOT ⚠️
1. Demand that people use a specific payment method, such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. The IRS will not ask for debit or credit card numbers over the phone. For people who owe taxes, make payments to the U.S. Treasury or review IRS.gov/payments for IRS online options.
2. Demand immediate tax payment. Normal correspondence begins with a letter in the mail and taxpayers can appeal or question what they owe. All taxpayers are advised to know their rights as a taxpayer.
3. Threaten to bring in local Police, Immigration Officers or other Law Enforcement agencies to arrest people for not paying. The IRS also cannot revoke a license or immigration status. Threats like these are common tactics scam artists use to trick victims into believing their schemes.
How to report scams! Taxpayers can use the following options to report phone, e-mail and other impersonation scams:
1. Report impersonation scams to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. on the “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting”; https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtml
2. Report phone scams to the Federal Trade Commission using the FTC Complaint Assistant and add "IRS Telephone Scam" in the notes; https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1
3. Report an unsolicited email claiming to be from the IRS or an IRS-related system like the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System to the IRS at email@example.com
Stay safe Flagler Beach and when in doubt, contact local Law Enforcement before giving out any personal information with regards to a phone call or e-mail you received from the IRS.